3/31/11

The Symbolism of Cain & Abel

As I was sitting in my Sociology class hearing a discussion on the topic of murder I suddenly started to think about the origins of murder in human beings. I started to recall the story of Cain and Abel in the Bible. There are a lot of incidents that are recorded in the Bible that have a lot of meaning to them. It's more than just the fact that it happened, but it's like there is always more than one message that you are getting from a story. For example, I've heard some Biblical scholars say that the story of Ruth and Naomi in the Bible is more than just a story of two women. But, that it is also a message of Gentiles (pagans/non-believers of God) turning from their non-belief to God (Ruth) and becoming one of God's people (Naomi). Well, as I thought about the story of Cain and Abel I started to recall all of the little details, such as the sacrifice, the blood and the mark. I thought of Adam and Eve's sin resulting in the death of an animal which eventually leads to the requirement of animal sacrifice for the blood which then leads to the sacrifice of Jesus and His blood. I thought of the sacrifices that Cain and Abel brought to God. God was pleased with Abel's (because it was an animal that could be sacrificed which would result in the blood atonement which is a picture of the blood atonement of Jesus' death on the cross) and was displeased with Cain's (because it was the fruit of his labor aka "works" which doesn't result in salvation). I also started to think about how Cain tried to kill Abel. Now, there might be more to it than this, but it did remind me of how the devil always wanted to kill Jesus to prevent Jesus from sacrificing His life on the cross and shedding His blood. Then, afterward Cain is required of God to be outcast and wear a mark. I immediately thought of the "mark of the beast" in the anti-christ, as if Cain is symbolic of the anti-christ. So, anyway, I just thought it was an interesting insight and wanted to share.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting

Unknown said...

Very interesting