8/8/11

A Debate: is hell Eternal?

I got into a conversation with a couple of people on YouTube concerning a video that this one guy made about hell not being eternal. I was in disagreement about this. I never saw anything in the Bible saying that hell is not eternal. This is how I remember the conversation to the best of my memory: So, I asked this person that made the video why they think hell is not eternal. They replied by giving me several verses for which they say point to the ultimate salvation of all creation (including all mankind) and that hell is not an eternal punishment. I started to investigate this further. Verses that I found say that hell is eternal and so I replied back giving him a list of these verses which seem to say that hell is eternal. Then, he replied back saying that those verses that I gave are what people who think hell is eternal would give. He started to give me verses in the original Greek and interpreting them to mean that hell is not eternal. There was a certain phrase that he was taking out of the Bible and interpreting it from the original Greek. So, I thought okay I will look into this more. So, I did. The information I found was that the original Greek basically says that hell is eternal in the same way that God is eternal. So, I replied back saying that if he is using that phrasing to justify there not being an eternal hell then it would seem that he is saying that God is not eternal either. Then someone else replied back saying that there are different versions of that phrase in the original Greek, one being singular and another plural, etc. and basically concluding that all of this means that hell is not eternal. Then he finished off by saying hell is a lie.

At the end of the day, I still believe that hell is eternal and I also believe that these guys are interpreting the text falsely in order to fit their agenda. I don't know why they are doing this as I can only guess. However, later on I noticed that the person who made the video is a unitarian. So, after that then it all made sense to me because as far as I know unitarians 1) don't believe hell 2) believe that everyone will be saved and 3) don't actually believe in the Biblical Jesus. I was already getting tired of this conversation early on, but I continued on with this debate. After having a few conversations about this I decided that it doesn't seem like either of these guys is going to budge on their views no matter what I said. So, I decided that whether we agree or disagree on hell the most important and vital thing is faith in Jesus. I wanted to know what these people believe about Jesus. So, I asked the question that I was trained to ask in Faith Team in order to get a good idea of what someone believes about salvation. The question is: "What do you think it takes for a person to get to Heaven and have eternal life." This way I can see exactly what they believe in when it comes to Jesus. But so far neither have them replied back to me. I don't know why.

This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmY8L8Td5C0&lc

No comments: