9/8/09

Come To Jesus - A Tribute To My Late Grandpa

The first year I became a Christian I started to evangelize to my Grandpa. I wasn't sure if he believed or not, but he was a very stubborn person when it came to certain things and very set in his ways. He wasn't the kind to show his love through hugs and saying i love you, but he we knew that he loved us very much. I tried to be very loving and respectful when speaking. I tried to talk to him about the Gospel over the phone, but he never liked talking about his personal beliefs. He said that his worldview was fine. That was my first attempt. Later on, I tried to write to him using the style of evangelization that I saw Ray Comfort/Kirk Cameron do where they start off with the 10 Commandments. But, my grandpa wouldn't read the whole thing. He said that he had his own religion. Then, I tried doing it over the phone again, and this time he really didn't like it. He felt offended like as if I thought he was a bad person and he was worried that I would try talking to him about it again.
So then I didn't speak to him about it for a long time. I did try to drop hints here and there, like I left a Gospel track at his house one time. A couple of times I invited him to church. A few times I said that I would pray for someone he was talking about who had a lot of health problems. He seemed to appreciate that. He was becoming more and more physically weak and frail. Eventually, he became so bad that he couldn't hardly walk or eat anything. He went into the hospital and then a rehab hospital. My family and I visited him in the hospital and we felt like this might be our last opportunity to reach out to him with the Gospel. We had a lot of distractions, like doctors coming in and out of the room and stuff like that. There was a chaplain that previously tried to talk to my grandpa and he said some very un-Christian things that I don't remember. All of this seemed like the devil's way of trying to prevent what my family was trying to do.
Anyway, over a few hours we were able to speak to him about the Gospel and he had a couple of questions that we tried to answer, but it was really like not important in terms of salvation and we were trying to steer it back to the main focus on him and salvation. We told him how we felt. My dad was like in tears telling my Grandpa that he wanted to see him in Heaven and stuff. He talked about Jesus. I told my grandpa the Gospel message. Then, we asked him if he would like to accept. He said that being in the hospital near death made him think about his life and some of the things he felt bad about his character that he regretted and stuff. I knew God had been working on his heart and I had been praying for Him too for a long time. My grandpa accepted Jesus. Later he told us that he had already done that and was baptized in a church when he was 12, but he was 92 at this point and had fallen away for so many years. So, if he really was saved then this was a re-dedication. Praise God.
This occurred in october 2008 and he passed away about two weeks later. It was very hard because he was really the head of our very small family. But, he was in so much pain physically from being so weak and frail at this point in his life that in a way it was good for him to go and we know that he's in Heaven with Jesus. He was 92 and so he lived a long life and he was very healthy up until the last few years of his life, so considering that he did really well being elderly. My Dad had to take care of all the arrangements and everything and it was like a huge thing because he went up to just go take care of some things where my grandpa lived and suddenly the next morning he passed away. On the way home my Dad was listening to the radio and he heard a song called "Come To Jesus" by Chris Rice. At one point in the song the lyrics go "so fly to Jesus, fly to Jesus." And it was like God had given that song to my Dad just for that very time.

No comments: