10/26/09

Declaring the Names of God

by John Paul Jackson

Every time a word is spoken, that word becomes established in the Earth. We may not remember it; we may forget it the moment it leaves our lips, but it hasn’t disappeared.

In part, this is why we pray. This is why we bless our enemies and not curse them, because if we return their evil actions with evil, it perpetuates evil, but if we return their actions with goodness, it stops evil and starts the flow of God in our lives. The eternality of words is one reason we avoid careless speaking (Matthew 12:36), and perhaps it is also one reason the Bible declares the names of God, His nature and His character over and over again. The Hebrews believe that once a word is spoken, it never stops speaking.

It is good to remind ourselves of the nature and character of God. It is good to speak His names into the atmosphere surrounding us. It is good to declare His glory and His favor and His blessing into our bodies, our families and the environments we find ourselves in, because once a word is spoken, it never stops speaking.

The Psalmist understood that there is no place where God is not (Psalm 139:7–12). There is only a difference in the measure of His presence. God Himself determines that measure, which is in accordance with His self-existent ways. Why is this important to us? Because God is always here. He is watching us, aiding us, protecting us and preparing us to be a habitation of the Most High. We are never, ever forgotten, and we are never, ever alone.

As I have written in an e-letter before, I pray declarative prayers often. Something happens when we declare who God is in our lives, in our circumstances, in the hard things and in the easy things. Something changes. Something shifts and adjusts and realigns with the Father’s purposes for us; this is why He created us. He wants us to succeed and achieve those purposes. When we recite His attributes back to Him, we synergize with His Kingdom — and with the results of that Kingdom, which far surpass the effort it may have taken us to pause a moment and speak His names. In this place of remembrance, we grow and find new life.

You are my Protector.
You are my Strength.
You are my Shield.
You are my Covering.
You are the One who keeps me from falling.
You are my Director.
You are my Way.
You are the One who keeps me upright.
You are my Choice and my Decision.
You are my Hiding Place.
You are the One I trust.
You are the One I love.
You are the One who treasures me, even when I see nothing good within me.
You are the Creator.
You are Wisdom when life is confusing.
You are God, who speaks to me.
You are my Healer.
You are my Helper.
You are the One who completely forgives me.
You are the One who never forgets a promise.
You are Gracious.
You are Patience.
You are my Comforter.
You are ever faithful.
You are the One who brings me peace.
You are my Father.
You are my every breath.
You are the Answer to every question I have.

Nothing is too hard for You. Even when fear surrounds me, and worry tries to steal my heart, Father, you are the One I choose. You are the One I will trust. My life is in Your hands, and it will be to me according to Your word and not to the word of the enemy. There will be no fault or shortage in the promises You have made me, because You are the One who made them. I will take You at Your word, and I will remember who You are.

When life is difficult, declare His nature and His names. When you find yourself wrapped up in negative circumstances, call to mind who He is and how safe you are with Him, and experience again the hope found in His presence.

Then I called upon the name of the LORD:
“O LORD, I implore You, deliver my soul!”
Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
Yes, our God is merciful.
— Psalm 116:4–5

© 2009 Streams Ministries International
http://www.streamsministries.com

No comments: